A lot of people argue that healthy living is too expensive and inconvenient. Fresh produce costs more than a bag of potato chips. Lettuce and spinach go bad too quickly. Grilled chicken is more work than heating up frozen chicken tenders. The list of excuses goes on and on.
However, let's look at it this way: the pharmaceutical industry drains our pockets every year. Obesity is at an all time high. Cardiovascular disease claims lives daily. This list goes on and on as well.
If you're like me, you justify your spending, so I'm going to justify your reasons to buy healthy foods: it increases your health and quality of life. Isn't that enough? If not, let's look at it this way: you can spend money on quality items now so you don't have to struggle later in life to pay medical bills.
To save money, you can even grow your own vegetables, buy in bulk, watch for sales, and use coupons when applicable.
If you ask me, spending money on yourself now is the best thing you can do for yourself. I was talking with a client a few weeks ago and she told me something that really stuck with me: "If you're not going to invest in your family or yourself, who are you going to invest in?" That's just it. Eating healthy is investment in our lives and we only have one chance at it.
However, let's look at it this way: the pharmaceutical industry drains our pockets every year. Obesity is at an all time high. Cardiovascular disease claims lives daily. This list goes on and on as well.
If you're like me, you justify your spending, so I'm going to justify your reasons to buy healthy foods: it increases your health and quality of life. Isn't that enough? If not, let's look at it this way: you can spend money on quality items now so you don't have to struggle later in life to pay medical bills.
To save money, you can even grow your own vegetables, buy in bulk, watch for sales, and use coupons when applicable.
If you ask me, spending money on yourself now is the best thing you can do for yourself. I was talking with a client a few weeks ago and she told me something that really stuck with me: "If you're not going to invest in your family or yourself, who are you going to invest in?" That's just it. Eating healthy is investment in our lives and we only have one chance at it.
You pointed out some very good points on what we should spend our money on as individuals for ourselves. I think if you are investing into healthy food that will ultimately keep us in good health then why not spend the money on those types of food. I think when people spend money on themselves they are using the money for buy stuff that they do not need in their lives to survive. Which leads to those people saying "I don't have the money to buy healthy food." Well that is because they are spending it on useless things they do not need. My parents told me it is ok to spend money on food but make sure it is healthy because you will need that later on in having a healthier life. Overall nicely put!
ReplyDeleteYou make some good points in this blog. A lot of people are quick to try and save money by getting unhealthy foods like fast food. However, there are healthy foods that can be just as cheap. In addition, these foods will help your overall health. They'll make you feel better so your day goes better.
ReplyDeleteI do agree that healthy living is expensive. I have tried to go on a diet for a few months and in order for me to follow that diet, i was spending around $100 a week and it got to be too much. But I do agree that if you spend money on healthy foods, you will lower your chance at obesity and your medical bills should go down also. We have our farm at home and my mother always grows kale, green beans, squash, broccoli and so much more. Even though its a process to grow and pick and wash each vegetable, the benefits are well worth it I think!
ReplyDeleteHealthy living can be expensive but we need to remember that we are what we eat. If we eat properly then we are going in the right direction in maintaining overall good health. Eating healthy foods helps us feel better therefore, we will be more successful in all we do. I know when I eat junk food, it makes me feel sluggish. I have more energy when I eat nutrient-rich whole foods. Giving our bodies proper nutrients allows us to feel satisfied which will lessen the tendency to overeat.
ReplyDeleteI feel you on this Abby. It can be super hard to live healthy especially with a low level of income that i bring in while I'm at school. I thought it was a really good piece though and had some really good points to try out!
ReplyDeleteAll college students will agree on this. It is a shame that healthy foods are more expensive that cheap food. Obviously if we could all afford healthier food we would, so the next best thing is to make the best out of a bad situation. Don't just go for the chips just because they are cheap, find something that has some nutritional value and not totally expensive.
ReplyDeleteyour totally right abby !! Eating and living right is a lifestyle, and if your not willing to invest into the lifestyle then it is not for you. People spend money on lots of other things that are not good or useful but it is what they want they can justify that but not buying the bag of apples because the price went up a bit. It is and will always be their choice, its just hard to sit back and watch people make the wrong one.
ReplyDeleteI really like the point you made here Abby. It is so important to invest in ourselves by spending the money on healthy foods. It is hard to make people realize that what you choose to eat today will affect your health later in life. I will admit it is sometimes easier to go the cheaper and quicker route but I feel so much better when I take the time to make something healthy and fortifying.
ReplyDeleteYou make some major points in this blog. It is crazy to think about how cheap unhealthy food is. Not only that but how expensive healthy food is! I am into healthy living and I know first hand that it sucks having to spend more money just to live healthy. I think that there needs to be a change to switch these two concepts around!
ReplyDelete